Saturday, September 6, 2014




Time for me to get on my soapbox.

As I was scrolling through the newsfeed, I came across the post below. Thank you, Pammy Pam Ward. I was immediately curious about people's opinions.  While this artwork is meant to be a thing of beauty, I knew the ugliness in people was going to come out. Many people feel that obesity should not be  celebrated. As a plus size woman, I'll tell you right now, I am going to celebrate me. All of me. My size. My age. My color. My achievements. My personality. I am going to celebrate me. Am I supposed to hang my head, crawl in a ball, and live like a hermit because I'm overweight? I recognize that excess weight brings a plethora of health issues. For that reason and that reason alone, I have a desire to lose weight. I would never lose weight because society tells me that obesity is unattractive and gross. I would never lose weight to feel more beautiful.  I would never lose weight to have more friends, get a man, get a job, get attention. I have wonderful people in my life. None that would turn their backs on me because I shop in the plus size section.

I am happy with myself right now in this moment. And no skinny people, this is not something I am telling myself to mask some pain you figure I must be in. I love me. There was a time when I didn't even like myself. There was a time when I felt I wasn't worthy of being loved by anyone. And for that reason I made poor decisions and attracted the wrong kinds of people into my life. Guess what? I didn't like that feeling. I didn't like living that kind of down trodden, low self-esteem, self-hate life. By the way, I was a svelte size 3 at the time. Physically, my body look liked  what society would deem as beautiful and ideal. But there were other things going on in my life. Size didn't matter.

It was GOD who saved my life and pulled my out of my funk. I decided at that time I didn't want to be unhappy ever again. So you think that now that I have all this extra weight on my body, I'm going to also allow society to convince me that I should have extra weight on my mind as well? You're wrong. And another thing, that doesn't motivate me to get into the gym. Again I say, I recognize that in order to be healthy I need to lose weight. I'm not going to the gym because someone else thinks I look gross.

Those of you who know my story are aware of the many health issues that I've endured. All of which started BEFORE I was overweight. My first set of health issues started when I was at about a size 6 and was running regularly. My second set of health issues started shortly thereafter. My third and fourth set of health issues started when I was about a size 10. At 5'2" a size 10 was certainly not "acceptable." All the extra weight I have now, I gained AFTER my heart attack in 2009. After my heart attack I spent two years living as healthy as I could. No fried food. No soul food. A diet low in sodium and low in fat, which was difficult to maintain. My grandmother, Marie Anderson kept me on course. I exercised three days a week. Doing what my heart could take. And during that time I PACKED on the pounds. I do not know why, but I did. And here I am today. Big and loving myself.

Just remember that when I say I love myself and I celebrate me, it doesn't mean I am making excuses for my size. It doesn't mean that I do not recognize the importance of living a healthy life style. But until I get to a healthy weight, I will NOT allow obesity to bring me to a place of self-loathing.

And remember another thing. My struggle is with weight. Your struggle is with . . . You fill in the blank. Because believe me we all struggle with something. In the meantime and in between time, I thank GOD for loving the whole me. And I thank Him for surrounding me with people who also love the whole me.

Now, I leave you to freely comment. Agree or disagree. Spread love or spread hate. It doesn't matter to me because I no longer give people the power to make me happy.


Okay. I'm off the soapbox.