Friday, October 28, 2011

ethnic stereotypes


I could write a book answering these questions. However for the sake of time I will be brief and provide a couple of examples for each question. Anyone who has experienced racism due to stereotypes knows these are mild answers.

What are some of the ethnic stereotypes that you have had to deal with?

White people assume black people are uneducated and lazy. They assume we do not speak proper English and live in “da hood.” For those of us who do speak proper English people assume we’re trying to be white as though only white people know how to speak. It is assumed that most black families are on welfare and fatherless. Growing up ALL of my black friends except one lived in two parent homes. Nobody was eligible for reduced lunch and we all went to college. It’s assumed we’re thieves and watched closely in stores even as adults. I’ve been asked extremely stupid questions like “Do you tan?” “Does your hair grow?” “Can I touch your hair?” If I am in public and a black person is being loud and obnoxious, people turn to look at me as though I am responsible for a stranger’s behavior.

Have you ever been discriminated against because of stereotypes that have been projected about Americans of color?

When I moved to Los Angeles my then boyfriend and I were denied several apartments. We were told we’d tear up the apartment and disturb the neighbors. We were also denied purchasing a car despite excellent credit and plenty of money for a down payment.

When I transferred to Lennar in Fort Myers people expected me to speak only when spoken to. When I spoke my mind I was called “a nigger who thinks she’s educated.” People thought I was aggressive and angry simply because I defended myself. White people assume black women are intimidating simply because we are strong. They assume we all communicate by rolling our eyes and necks and sucking our teeth. Watch me closely. I do not speak with me neck.

When I was a child my classmates were white. I was not invited to their homes or birthday parties. The children would not play with me at recess. Over and over again I was told that I was not clean and had germs. Kids would not eat lunch next to me for fear of getting sick. This was learned behavior from white adults.

Where have stereotypes about your race occurred? Like have people ever said anything to you at work, school, etc.?

The only place I have not had to deal with stereotypes is in my home, the homes of my family and my church. No other place is safe. Some places are easier to deal with than others, such as public places. Work, school and friend’s homes can be very difficult. You run the risk of getting fired from you job, in trouble at school and losing a friends. In public with strangers there is less risk for speaking my mind.Ii attended a predominately white, all girls' private high school. my senior there was just over 800 students. 21 of us were black. That year seven of us black girls ended up in the same lunch wave. A teacher approached us in the cafe and with much attitude asked us how we managed to get the same lunch wave. Mind you, we could not choose our own lunch waves.

I applied for a job and the employer wanted to hire a less qualified white counterpart. They even went as far as saying they could save 10k on the first year’s salary if they hired the less skilled, less qualified, less experienced candidate.

Last summer, while at my family reunion, I stopped in Target with my best friend (a white woman). We were wearing my family reunion t-shirt. The cashier asked if we were related. My best friend said we were twins. The cashier followed with how she knew that could be possible because her family owned slaves.

Why do you think ethnic stereotypes exist?

People like to clump people in groups to make it easier for them to understand the unknown. It’s ignorance passed on from generation to generation. Example: Many of the white people I have encountered are descendants slave owners. They’ve been listening to backwards ideas for centuries. They think black people have brought down this country when in actuality we built it on our backs. People witness black people who DO perpetuate the stereotypes and decide they represent us all. In addition, lack of self-confidence leads to fear. Of course I am speculating.

How do you think these stereotypes can be overcome?

EDUCATION! We have to start with the young people to break the cycle. They need to be taught self-confidence, communication skills, appreciation for differences and compassion. We have to teach them a sense of community and inclusion. People need to venture out and meet people from other places. Multiculturalism needs to be introduced into the curriculum, the décor of the schools and the interaction of teachers and parents. Bullying needs to be quelled. Americans need to learn how to speak multiple languages.

As a multicultural trainer I used a certain technique in my workshops. I would show teachers the stages they much consciously go through to make a difference. Since learning is cyclical, I would show them a labeled circle. At the top of the circle is awareness. If you are not aware of your surroundings and your lack of knowledge about your surrounds you won’t seek knowledge. So next on the circle (moving clockwise) is seeking resources and tools that can help you gain knowledge. Next on the circle is implementation. I provided techniques on how to implement the knowledge the gain. Last on the circle is sharing. I would encourage teachers to share what they learn with other teachers and parents alike.