Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I Had To Go Madea On Them


So this past weekend I volunteered to work the admissions desk at my brother-in-law's AAU tournament. He hosted 33 teams. Just imagine how many people passed through the doors between players, coaches, refs, parents and other guests. I spent 12 hours on Saturday and 10 hours on Sunday dealing with the public. I have a new found respect for people who do front office work.
On Saturday roughly 70% of the people were either rude or tried to sneak into the game without paying. I held my composure from 8 am to about 4 pm. Finally my cup had run over and out poured the "stereotypical" attitude. I had promised myself I wouldn't allow anyone to take me there. But I had a weak moment. Yes people were rude, belligerent and nasty but I know better. Maybe I should have gotten up from the desk and walked away for a moment but we really didn't have enough hands on deck to cover. So when this man refused to pay and literally bum rushed the door, forcefully pushing a lady out of the way, I lost it. I started yelling and brought unnecessary attention to myself. I was tired of people speaking to me and treating me any kind of way. On went the gorilla suit. It got real ugly. "I'M TIRED OF YOU PEOPLE AND YOUR FUNKY NASTY ATTITUDES. I DON'T HAVE ANY DAMN CHILDREN PLAYING IN THIS TOURNAMENT. I DON'T EVEN REALLY CARE FOR BASKETBALL. I AM VOLUNTEERING MY TIME AND I WILL NOT PUT UP WITH ANYMORE. Then of course I let it be known that I would never work a tournament again.
Afterwards I was angry with myself. Like my Granny says, "You don't have to be a fool because you meet a fool." I know there are ways to get my point across without blowing my top. It is something I consciously work on. Your point is lost in chaos when you flip your lid. Even if you're "in the right." I had to apologize to myself. I disappointed myself by allowing others to get to me. There is no real reason to go ballistic.
On Sunday things were better. People were still rude and were still trying to sneak in but not nearly in the numbers they did the previous day. GOD gives me joy everyday. GOD knows what to do to show me the light. HE will use whomever HE can to teach me a lesson. A few parents, coaches and referees thanked me for a job well done. One coach even gave me an encouraging talk. He was subtle with it. He knew what he was doing and by the time he finished talking to me I was making plans for next year's tourny. I have great ideas to implement. Ideas that help the event run smoothly and efficiently.
So what is the point of this story you ask? Try to keep your cool. Never let them see you sweat. But you will make mistakes and when you do be prepared to ask for forgiveness. Please be patient with me. GOD is not through with me yet.